Friday 13 November 2009

Preliminary Task



As a whole, I feel our piece demonstrates continuity well. There is one point, however, in which it shows me walking into the room with Tom in the background facing downwards, and then when it cuts to the second camera angle, Tom is looking upwards. This is not a very noticeable thing but still does not show 100% continuity. Apart from this, the rest of the clip has continuity the whole way through. I feel when it worked very well was when we cut away from the two shot into the close up of the wallet being passed across the desk. This moved the story along without cutting away from what is happening in the scene.

In our scene, we have demonstrated match on action; we use both shot reverse shot and the 180 degree rule. These both helped in showing the two characters communicating with each other, and showed facial expressions of both characters throughout. We didn’t use these two techniques the whole time during the conversation; this would be something to improve on in the future.

I feel during the filming, the group worked well as a team; everyone had a job and no one was left to watch. In contrast to this, during the editing nearly all the work was taken over by one member of the group, even though the software is quite simple so other members could have helped. This means that when it comes to editing future pieces, I will not be as experienced in the software as other people because I haven’t had a proper chance to use it and get used to it.

The first time we filmed the piece, one of our cameras wasn’t working, this meant we couldn’t upload and edit our work and had to re film it in a much smaller room. If I were to re film it, I would make sure that all the cameras worked in order to save time and make sure we get the room we want to film it in. The room we finally filmed our piece in didn’t work well for the mise en scene, lowering the quality of our final piece.

When we created our video, we put in barely any planning; we just took the script and chose which shots we wanted to use for each part of the scene and strung them together. If we had planned a bit more, we would’ve probably had some better shots and a better place to film. Also if we had planned, we would’ve probably found that one of our cameras had a fault and wouldn’t have had to film it all over again in a worse room.

We used some transitions in our piece; however I feel we could’ve improved on this by adding more interesting transitions and using them to make the piece run smoother overall.
I have learnt very little about the editing software during the exercise due to the fact that one member took over almost all the editing work. I know some of how this software works, but I think other people who have had more of an opportunity to try out the editing software will be more in the know about it than me.

From the construction of this film, I have learnt more about the cameras we use in the school and how they work. I also now know how they are set up onto the tripods and how to film using the tripods. As I said earlier, I don’t feel I’ve learnt much about the editing software but it seems quite easy to grasp so I will hopefully have a chance to use it in our next piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment